How is it Treated?
The Medical Treatment of Hemophilia
- Clotting Factor Replacement Therapy – infusion (injection into the bloodstream) of factor VIII or IX concentrates, or other blood products to facilitate normal clotting.
- First aid of affected area – PRICE (Prevention, Rest, Ice, Compress and Elevate)
- Pain medication and Anti-inflammatory medication to reduce swelling.
- Tranexamic Acid for surgical, external or oral bleeding.
- Physical rehabilitation of damaged joints and muscles
WARNING: Persons with Hemophilia should avoid using any medications classified as blood thinners such as:
- NSAIDS such as ibuprofen
- Herbal/supplement products such as glucosamine, Vitamin E or gingko biloba